Jimmy John's Hockey Club
(Formerly Redford Township Hockey Association, RTHA)
RTHA is one of the oldest hockey associations in the metro Detroit area. The association enjoys one of the lowest ice costs in the area as well. The association is made up of several house and Royals and Kings travel teams at many age levels. The house and travel teams play in the Little Caesars Amateur Hockey League. Several of our teams have had terrific success through the years and we are looking forward to that success continuing with the next season.
Jimmy John's home rink is:
Wallace Ice Arena (Cranbrook)
550 Lone Pine Rd, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304
Jimmy John's Philosophy
Jimmy John's Hockey takes the practice to game ratio seriously and does not put a heavy concentration on "systems" prevalent in most travel programs. Our commitment is one of skill development. Jimmy John's Hockey is far more interested in the type of player your child becomes at age 16 as opposed to age 9. Our hockey principles are as follows:
- 4:2 practice to game weekly ratio
- Four practice skates per week followed by 45 minutes of off ice
- Practice will consist of skating, passing, receiving, stick-handling and shooting. Until the kids mature, a heavy dose of "system" play is not necessary. The time is better spent working on skills.
- Small ice games during practice to encourage creativity and puck movement.
- Seven months of intense on-ice hockey skills training. In the spring and summer we encourage other sports and athletic activities. It is our belief that kids need to develop other muscles in order to achieve optimum on-ice performance.
- Players Provide: Game and Practice Jerseys, Socks, Gloves, Pants or Shells, Warmup Suits and Hockey Bags.
- Professional Goalie Coach at each practice.
All practices are facilitated by paid professional coaches. In addition to high level practices conducted by professional coaches, we find talented leaders with strong hockey backgrounds to coach several of our teams. Many of these coaches would be paid coaches in other programs and work hand-in-hand with our professional coaches. All parent coaches are hand selected by our dedicated Jimmy John’s Hockey staff.